Today my new polished stainless (316 grade) 150mm cleat and 112mm fairleads arrived. A total of £22 including delivery off eBay from jay Wolfe. Just waiting for the bolts and washers and I will get him fitted, sealed with sikaflex and then wrap them up so they don't get damaged!
Monday, 17 November 2014
Today I cut out a new bulkhead pattern from some thin plywood. Its by no means perfect, but unfortunately I don't have the skill to do much better! I'm hoping that west system epoxy filler will fill any gaps that are in my final draft of the bulkhead.
Wednesday, 12 November 2014
Tuesday, 11 November 2014
This morning I removed and resealed the remaining 8 keel bolts. Once the sealant has cured I will tighten them up. I also started to make the template for the forward bulkhead too. The other way to get the correct shape for a bulkhead is by flagging off, which is well documented here.
Friday, 7 November 2014
Today I removed half the keel bolts from quest and added large quantities of sikaflex 291i to them before returning them to there bolt holes. I have left them loose at the moment so I don't squeeze out all the sealant by tightening. Once the sikaflex has a chance to cure I Will torque the keel bolts to 28nm of torque. Which is recommended for M8 bolts.
Wednesday, 5 November 2014
Looking back at some old pictures of Quest today (in an attempt to rekindle my desire to continue with the restoration), I found a clip of us drifting down the river Nene. The boom was a 100% carbon fiber section off a windsurfing mast that I was testing out but it was a couple of centimeters to short to be useful.